The recent hoo-ha with WordPress, which resulted in the Blogger removing some posts from the blog, has highlighted how vulnerable this blog and its contents are to WordPress’s whims.
The Blogger was particularly disturbed by this in WordPress’s Terms of Service (TOS):
Blogs are suspended if they are found to be in breach of the TOS.
We do not contact you first to ask that content be modified or removed.
You may NOT have that blog name back.
You may NOT have the blog content back
Basically WordPress have a right to take all this blog and its content away forever.
Following a summit meeting, the following decision has therefore been taken.
1. The blog in its current WordPress-hosted form will be removed from public view at 6.00pm Sunday.
2. Work will then commence on building a new blog from scratch using tools available from WordPress.org
3. The current blog’s archive will be transferred to this new blog
4. A suitable domain name will be purchased – it’ll be interesting to see who owns The Bristol Blogger won’t it?
5. A state-of-the-art politically-motivated ISP will be identified and approached to host this new blog in a safe environment.
PS. In the meantime the Blogger might be found writing the internet news column for Bristol 24-7 that’s been promised for ages.
Check out our old friends at The Bristolian for gossip.