Great Hall, Bristol Grammar School
Bristol Grammar School – catchy strapline: “rich[ !!!], vibrant and a real community, BSG is full of possibility, large but never impersonal” – is currently trumpeting its latest result in getting 17 of its students offers at Oxbridge colleges.
This keeps this leading independent school firmly in that tight-knit pack of 100 elite schools – 80 fee-paying, 18 selective state grammars and two that are notionally comprehensive – that account for an incredible one-third of all admissions to Oxbridge colleges every year.
Add in the next 100 elite schools and these 200 schools account for an incredible 48% of all Oxbridge admissions every year. The other 3,500-odd schools in the UK then account for the remaining 52% of admissions each year. (Although you should try to bear in mind too – if you can through the fog of stats – that 50% of all Oxbridge entrants belong to the 7% of the population that are privately educated whether at an elite school or elsewhere)
Further studies show that at least 25% of cabinet ministers and leading politicians are Oxbridge educated; 50% of leading journalists – especially those at the BBC and the Guardian as well as virtually every household name columnist – are Oxbridge educated and an incredible 85% of the senior judiciary are Oxbridge educated.
Factor in the total domination by Oxbridge graduates of the senior ranks in the civil service, public sector management, the armed services and now even the police, and who says that money, privilege and ‘the old school-tie’ doesn’t put you on the fast track to power and influence in the UK?
University Admissions by Individual Schools (pdf) (Sutton Trust)
Over half country’s top journalists went to private schools (pdf) (Sutton Trust)
Politicians’ Backgrounds (pdf) (Sutton Trust)
The educational backgrounds of the UK’s top solicitors, barristers and judges (pdf) (Sutton Trust)